Monday, April 25, 2005

"A candy lineup?"

My husband pointed out to me that this post doesn't technically relate to adventures in Syria, but I thought I'd share anyway.

Jerry Seinfeld says that when you’re a kid, your ultimate goal in life is to get candy. I agree completely.

When I was 13, my family went on a vacation to Alaska. My mom and dad stocked up on snacks for the kids during the trip – pretzels, goldfish crackers, and the crown jewel: a whole box of peanut butter Twix from Costco. My little sister and I really, really looked forward to eating those. But my dad rationed the snacks pretty well and by the middle of the trip, we had each only had one or two. This was fine with me, because it meant more Twix to look forward to.

At one point, we took a ferry between two cities. We got to sit on movie-theater style seats with a nice view over the water. It was a fun adventure for us young ones. I remember seeing the treasured peanut butter Twix stowed safely underneath my dad’s seat, thinking again how good they tasted, and wondering when we’d get to have another one.

When we got off the ferry, to my horror, the box of Twix was nowhere to be found. My dad had left it under his seat on the ferry. All those Twix, gone forever.

I still mourn the loss of those Twix. I don’t know that it’s something I’ll ever entirely get over. No matter how many Twix I can buy with my own money now, it’s just not the same.

No comments: